Monday 21 May 2007

Monday Madness and a bit of a rant!

Monday's the busiest day of the week in Spain, for some reason everyone and their dog needs to be everywhere, and usually everywhere we need to be, banks, post office, shops, all crazy!



No shag this morning, no, we had to get up because we had a lot to do.....yes, that's as maybe, but a quickie wouldn't have made that much difference. If I'd have added up all the time spent queueing this morning, that would have made for a very nice time! Ahhh, never mind!



We went out last night for an Indian, nice place about 10 minutes drive from home, so not too far. I always make an effort when we go out, wear something nice, hair done, a little bit of make up, sexy undies, nice perfume, that to me is the way it should be, and once in a nice restaurant, one eats nicely and no one sticks out, no one detracts from anyone else enjoying the meal. That's my opinion anyway, its the way I was brought up, seems that others have different standards and yes, this is a snobby statement from me, I don't give a shit, there is a way to behave and that's all there is to it!



We had just finished our poppadoms when this family came in and were seated at an adjacent table, Father, in his mid 50's, dressed in sportswear! A long sleeved T shirt, 3/4 length Adidas pirate trousers and sparkling white trainers, Mother, now this was a strange sight, she had three coloured hair, blonde at the front, black in the middle, and purple at the back, nails that obviously didn't do any housework, and loads of gold, rings on every finger, big earrings, bracelet, necklace etc, but she was wearing sports type casual clothing...a T shirt that was so thin I could almost read the label sewn into the inside and baggy trousers that looked two sizes too big, and sparkling white trainers, Daughter, dressed as any normal teenager with the standard Catherine Tate scraped back hair and earrings, the daughter I can forgive, but the parents! Not a chance, what do they think they are doing, going out to a nice restaurant in sportswear? And trainers? And whats with wearing the contents of the jewellery box? And as for the way the mother ate....feeding bits into her mouth in a conveyor belt style, pushing more in before swallowing the last and picking up stray bits from her bust area and eating them too....A complete slob!



I cannot understand people that wear sports type clothes that never do any form of sport to begin with, and I cannot understand people that wear loads of jewellery, fancy hairdo's and nails, and then top it off with the ultra casual look!



Guess what? Yes, they were Brits, can spot them a mile off, absolutely no class, no idea how to dress and behave, and absolutely no table manners at all. Another family came in and sat at the table near to the slobs, dressed a bit better, but gave the game away when the young lad got out a games machine and proceeded to play while the parents talked, yes, Brits again! One would never see any continental children doing this in a restaurant, they sit and join in with the conversation and are very much a part of the occasion. Its no wonder the Brits are frowned upon by many continentals.......

Yes, sorry that was a bit of a rant, its something I get quite wound up about, and sometimes I am so grateful that I can speak Spanish as can deny knowledge of being associated by place of birth to some of the sorts that come here. I'm not saying people should be stiff and awkward, but any restaurant, no matter where you are, is not the place to be wearing sports clothing, a woman should not go out wearing it and her jewellery etc either, a woman should make an effort, she should look nice for her man, trying to feminise sports clothing with nail varnish and multi coloured hair just doesn't work! And as for children playing games machines at the table, that's plain antisocial in my book !...

Rant over !

11 comments:

CrazySpanishGirl said...

lol! I don't like to generalize, but yeap, you just described the usual brit in Spain. I'm glad to hear about some 'normal' ones such as yourself.

Anyway, there are many 'nuevos ricos', all native here, who look pretty much like those brits you talk about.

funny sparky said...

CSG...Thanks for the comment, I understand what you're saying, I like to think I'm not one of the 'usuals' lol! I have even heard brits asking if paella came with chips...Doh!

Dark Side said...

I completely agree with you funny, it infuriates me when people can't make an effort.

I was brought up to understand the table was for eating at and nothing else, I hate it when kids get games machines out, I have been in company when someone has sat and put make up on at the table, but the most annoying is bloody hats, take it off before you sit down...etiquette!! most of them can't spell it let alone know what it is...rant over!!xx

Lady in red said...

I quite agree with you.

I have never been to spain or anywhere else really but standards are standards where ever you are.

I just knew you were describing brits bfore you told us

funny sparky said...

Its good to know there are a good few of us out there who know how to behave, just need to get the message thru to the masses! lol!

Too Fat To Fly... said...

I had to agree with what you said about the behaviour you decribed with regard to the English family eating out!

Gawd, doesn't it make you cringe at times?

I tell you, no wonder Brits have a bad name abroad, lol.

It's funny you bringing this up, cos it got me thinking about a photo I saw in a magazine I was reading last night.

A couple were photographed in a pub yet both of them had a mobile phone pressed to their ears!

Says a lot for the conversation that must go on between them, huh?

I know we shouldn't generalise, but it just seems at times that Brits don't care! What sort of an example are they/we setting to the rest of the world?

Mind you, I think the UK is an absolute joke these days! At least you have managed to escape, lol.

What ever happened to GREAT Britain I wonder??

Okay, I'll get off my soap box now! Haha

xx

funny sparky said...

TFTF...It really does make me cringe, while I'm not terribly well educated, i.e. I never went to university and came from a normal background, I do know how to behave! Its hard not to generalise when its the masses falling into the categories so easily!

Too Fat To Fly... said...

Hi FS,

No, I am not terribly well educated either (I think you can tell that just by reading my blog, lol) but like you, I do have a sense of how to behave properly when in the company of others!

God, I don't even swear in front of my parents, let alone out in public yet you hear some of the language today from people?

What ever happened to common decency?

xx

Lady in red said...

I come from a typical middle class background but I was taught how to behave and although I may not be the perfect mother my boys know how to behave in company.

funny sparky said...

TFTF..& LIR....Spot on, we have all seemingly been brought up with a good sense of right and wrong behaviours in public, pity this is not the case very often now...a sign of the times I suppose....sad though!

Born Worrier said...

I agree with you, I was always told that manners and politeness costs nothing. My aunt lives in Spain and she often tell me how some holidaying Brits make her cringe.